I happened to read Pooja’s thoughts and review of Amazon Kindle Unlimited and was inspired to write about my experience with kindle unlimited too.
What is Amazon Kindle Unlimited
It is a subscription service which lets user borrow kindle books from a vast list of kindle books available on Amazon.in for a small amount. You can avail for a monthly/quarterly/bi-annual/yearly subscription and there were offers which provided you a good deal(around 100 rupees per month).
Is it True?
Yes.There are more than 1 million books(as claimed by amazon) available to the user for the period of subscription, much more than you can read in a year.
I paid Rs 1200 for a yearly subscription which comes to around 100 bucks per month.
So is Kindle Unlimited worth it?
This question doesn’t have a straight forward answer. But here are few points to give you an idea based on my experience. Do read them before you go ahead and subscribe for Kindle Unlimited.
- All amazon kindle books are not available under this offer. I believe there might be some tie up between publishers/authors and amazon to add them into kindle unlimited catalog.
- From what I have explored, most of the books that are available are what I would like to read or on my wishlist. There are only a few books written by known authors.
- You can borrow only 10 books at a time. You need to return books before you can borrow any more books once you have 10 books with you.
- A lot of books by Indian writers are available. So if you read a good number of Indian authors, this offer might be a good one for you.
- There was an offer of 1400 for a year of subscription. I actually got a gift card of 200 rupees from amazon itself. Hence paid only 1200. 100 bucks per month seems to be a good investment.
- Kindle Unlimited gives you a great opportunity to explore the writings by those authors that you would generally not buy because you don’t know them well.
- As long as you don’t compel yourselves to finish the book you start reading, you can always return the book if you feel a particular book is not worth your time and effort. I know this is easier said than done for many readers. I try to practice it though I don’t abandon books on my first whim.
If you are particular about the books you read, it might be a good idea to wait for so more time for publishers to add their books in the kindle unlimited catalog.
I did get to read and explore few books that I would not purchase otherwise and I found some of them to be very interesting. In that way I am enjoying the experience.
Subscribe,take a good look at the catalog and be open to new or unknown authors. You will enjoy the experience!
Note: This is not a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.